The Collection focuses on early United States Coast Guard (USCG) artifacts and its predecessors, the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service (USRCS), the U.S. Life-Saving Service (USLSS), and the U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) along with the U.S. Light House Establishment (USLHE). The goal of the Collection is to preserve the nautical military history of the Coast Guard and Honor the Men and Women who contributed to the two hundred plus years of service and in keeping with the core values of Honor, Respect, and Devotion to Duty.
The U.S. Lighthouse Service & Establishment had its roots in the establishment of the first colonial lighthouse at Boston Harbor (Little Brewster Island) in 1716. An Act of Congress in 1789, only the ninth law passed by the new-created Congress, and the first one to make any provisions for public work, created the Lighthouse Establishment. The Lighthouse Service continued to exist as a separate agency within the Treasury Department until 1939 with President Franklin Roosevelt ordered its transfer to the Coast Guard (http://www.uscg.mil/history/h_index.asp).
The artifacts listed have been acquired over the years and represent a reflection of everyday practicability, honored achievements and advancements, and ceremonial events. We are always seeking to expand and add to the Collection so please contact us at email@example.com if you have any similar items for sale.
1) Watchmen at the General Lighthouse Depot Hat Device (c. 1870) - Very rare and of exceptional quality; made of heavy brass with a “T-bar” pin clasp. Hat's ornament should have a gilt lighthouse with a whistling and spar buoy crossed (Regulations Governing the Uniforms of the Officers and Men of the U.S. Light-House Service Treasury Department 1893).
Lighthouse Service Serving Bowl (c. 1936) - Scarce original early china dinnerware manufactured of heavy white institutional type china with brown leafy pattern below rim. This is the second of three patterns used by the Lighthouse Service and Establishiment. Measures: 10.5 inches long, 8.25 inches wide, 2 inches tall; bottom is marked "Jackson China 1936".